- 350 grams of frozen peas
- 200 grams frozen spinach
- 200 grams broccoli – use the stems as well
- 700ml water – increase if adding more vegetables
- 1 organic mint teabag or 3 nettle teabags or fresh mint
- Optional: fresh mint to garnish
- More time? Add onion, 1/2 leek, carrots and any other vegetables you have for taste and variety. A great way to use up stems and veg that is about to go off.
- Tip: adding carrots will lightly sweeten the soup
Put 600 mls of water and the mint teabag or nettle teabags into a large saucepan and bring to the boil & leave simmering whilst you:
Optional: if you are using onion, leek and garlic thinly slice and lightly saute in extra virgin olive oil for 2 minutes
Chop up the broccoli and carrots if using
Take the teabags – if using – from the pan and add the broccoli, spinach, peas and any other vegetables you are using.
Season with seasalt and pepper and any other herbs and spices you like
Stirring regularly bring to boil and leave to simmer for a few minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
Stir in 100 ml boiling water, adjusting for the consistency you like and the additional vegetables you have used
Use a handheld electric whisk OR place the soup in a blender and blitz
Only use utensils suitable for hot food
Be careful to leave 1/4 of the blender empty
If using a handheld electric whisk use a tea towel to cover the pan to prevent any soup from splashing out
If the soup is too thick add more boiling water and stir
Serve with a mint garnish and toasted seeds